Thursday, October 9, 2014

Grants Pass Visit

Been a while since I was actually birding. Had very bad cateracts and couldn't see very well. Had my first surgery 3 weeks ago. I can't believe the difference. I can actually see the birds now. Other eye being done in Nov.  I should be able to see much clearer then. Can't wait.

Went down to my friend Cheryls house in Grants Pass Oregon. Needed a little rest. Cheryl, Cheri (daughter-in-law) and I took one day to go birding. Had a great time. I have seen Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatch before but really far away and could never get a good picture. Saw both at Cheryls feeders and I could almost reach out and touch them. So thrilled.


White-breasted Nuthatch



Red-breasted Nuthatch



While visiting I also saw my standard GP birds

Turkey Vutures






Wild Turkey



Cheryl was thrilled to see her first Bald Eagle



Spent a day birding with my daughter-in-law She loves photography, biking and now some birding. She told me about a bird she saw but didn't get a picture of. We decided to go hunt it down. She said she thought it was a Brown Kingfisher. No brown kingfishers I know of in US.  I figured it was a Belted. As soon as we got to the park (along the Rogue River) I heard  him and saw him flying around.  The guy would not land for anything. He finally landed way down the river. Se didn't have a lens that would take a shot that far away. I got a poor shot. She's going back to the park to try again.

Belted Kingfisher
      
        

In the same park is a stream that runs through the park.  Cheryl and I both noticed something across the stream. Got the bins out. It was a Green Heron trying to swallow a frog. I got a few pictures of him and the frog then Cherie started chasing him down. Don't know how many shots she got but got a few.

Here are a few of mine.












My other new birders

                                                Cherie my daughter-in-law


                              Cheryl and Cherie

                                              


Cheryl's house is in Merlin. I tell her it's like going camping with a house. Was able to really relax. The deer are an every day visit. I did get mad at one of the momma deer. She kept eating the birdseed. Never knew a deer would eat seed.

Seed thief:



No comments:

Post a Comment