Sunday, October 12, 2014

Dawson Creek / Mandarin Duck Hunt

After Birds and Brew at Fernhill I decided to go to Dawson to see if I could find the Mandarin Duck that had been reported. Ran into a gal I met at the Birds and Brew. She was also looking for the duck. Between the two of us (she first spotted it) we found it. I was able to get a half way decent picture of it. Had fun looking. By the time I was done there I was pretty tired. Got a few shots though.

Mandarin Duck? Or maybe not. May be a young male wood duck.






Acorn Woodpecker


Some Cedar Waxwings
 Loved the Fall colors on some of the leaves




 Wood Ducks are Back


Kris says this is a young Wood Duck
He must be at that awkward stage

2 comments:

  1. Marlowe, I think the bird you identify as Mandarin Duck is actually an immature male Wood Duck.

    See photo of The Dawson Creek Mandarin Duck here:
    http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S20176380

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go out tomorrow and take another look around. See what I can find. Others there that day also thought it was the mandarin. I'll take your word for it and keep looking. I'll email a picture to see if I find it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete