Saturday, March 29, 2014

Wild Turkey / Not The Drink

Spending the week-end with Ron and Cheryl in Merlin Oregon. Just north of Grants Pass. I asked Dennis Vroman for advice on where to look during this rain storm. Not sure I wanted to get soaked. He asked me what birds I was interested in. I told him one on my list was Wild Turkey. I had never seen one in the wild. He suggested a few places. As I was coming down the freeway and hit the Hugo exit there was a small group of turkeys. I thought how funny that was.

Today Cheryl and went I out for the day. We saw a lot of turkeys. They seem to be everywhere. Cheryl got excited when we almost hit a Turkey Vulture that was having lunch in the middle of the road on some fresh roadkill.  We turned around to get a place to park.

I got out of the car to get a picture and there were about 10 of them right above my head waiting for their turn to dine. A little bit strange. We sat in the car for a while and one of them came into the road and we both got pictures. It was pretty cool.

            Turkey Vulture


 
Wild Turkey


We did see one thing I thought was interesting.  Last year when I was here we saw two Ospry nests on the top of the Robertson Bridge. Today the same nests are there but there seems to be a Canada Goose that has taken up residence there. Not sure if it's using the nest or what. My friend Cheryl says the goose has been up there for a while. I sent an email to Dennis to see if he knew anything about it. Haven't heard back yet.


All in all it was a good day. We had to stop several times because it would start to rain. When I come back in May it should be better weather.



1 comment:

  1. Dennis emailed me. He said the same thing happened last year. The goose nested in the osprys nest and when the ospry came back they made another nest on the other side of the bridge. There's two nests there now.

    ReplyDelete