Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fernhill Walk

I went on the Fernhill Wetlands walk with the group that works with Portland Audubon Society (Magpies)  It was actually a lot of fun. I usually bird alone. It was nice to have some people to walk and talk with. It's really helpful and educational. Others spot birds I may not see.

Dudley Thomas was the lead on the group.  Several people had scopes and it's amazing how much you can see. I'd love to have one but they are expensive and would be difficult for me to carry.  I'm getting my new binoculars on friday so I'm hoping they will help me see a little more than I do now.

Saw more swallows.  They were fluttering all over.  They should be nesting soon. Some looked like they were staking out their new homes. 

 

 

We were greeted by a Mourning Dove at the new gate and parking lot. 

 

 

The day was pretty quiet. There were only 2 Red-tailed Hawks and the Bald Eagles were not there. Must have been out looking for lunch. 

Little Song Sparrow posing.



After I had lunch I went over to Amberglen Park to work on my gull skills. Taking me time but eventually I'll get it. Every day there are tons of them there in the grass. Usually 3 or 4 different species.






No comments:

Post a Comment