Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Cedar Waxwings Are Back

Had a good day yesterday. I was looking through ebird maps and saw that Steve Nord had seen some waxwings at Commonwealth lake. I got so excited I had to go see them. Cedar Waxwings are among my favorite birds. They are just beautiful.

When I first saw a photo at a friends house and looked them up on my field guide I wasn't concentrating on size. I thought they were a bigger bird like the size of a Jay. I saw some were reported at Fernhill Wetlands in Forest Grove.  So off I go. I was looking all over for this bird. I got down the trail and saw these little birds just flittering from tree to tree. Looked through my binoculars and there they were, Cedar Waxwing.  I was so shocked. I must have taken 20 pictures that day.

First photos of Cedar Waxwing



Newest Photos from Yesteday







I saw a lot of nice birds yesterday. It was so good to see my waxwings back.
Commonwealth Lake is a great place to go. It is paved all around and you can take a stroller if you need to. Lots of people around so I always feel safe.



3 comments:

  1. I have seen Cedar Waxwings a few times, and really like them, because they are looking mysterious in some way. Your photos are great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark.
      I think it's the mask that makes it look mysterious. Like a bandit.

      Delete